Digital literacy has been defined in many different ways by many different people.
First, let's put digital literacy in context starting with digital citizenship.
Digital Citizenship Defined
Digital citizenship can be defined as the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior with regard to technology use, including broadband or high-speed internet.
Digital Citizenship Nine Elements
- Digital Access: full electronic participation in society
- Digital Commerce: electronic buying and selling of goods or services
- Digital Communication: electronic exchange of information.
- Digital Literacy: process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology.
- Digital Etiquette: electronic standards of conduct or procedure.
- Digital Law: electronic responsibility for actions and deeds
- Digital Rights & Responsibilities: those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world.
- Digital Health & Wellness: physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world.
- Digital Privacy & Security: electronic precautions to guarantee safety.
Definition of Digital Literacy
Digital literacy represents a person’s ability to perform tasks effectively in a digital environmentSource: Barbara R. Jones-Kavalier and Suzanne L. Flannigan, “Connecting the Digital Dots: Literacy of the 21st Century,” Educause Quarterly 29:2 (2006)
North Carolina Digital Literacy
Standards for Teachers
The chart below shows the relationship between North Carolina Evaluation Standards and the Information & Technology Education Standards (ITES) of:
- Sources of Information
- Information Text
- Technology as a Tool
- Research Process
- Safety & Ethics
The Digital Literacy Network is a start for digital inclusion in Buncombe County and Western North Carolina thanks to the Land-Of-Sky Regional Council of Governments.
Digital Citizenship Archives - WNC Broadband Project. (2020). WNC Broadband Project. https://wncbroadband.org/blog/blog/category/digital-citizenship/
Learning Digital Skills - WNC Broadband Project. (2021, June 24). WNC Broadband Project. https://wncbroadband.org/blog/blog/2021/06/24/learning-digital-skills/
Defining Digital Literacy. (2021). Rt3nc.org. http://rt3nc.org/objects/modules/diglit/1-1-DefiningDigitalLiteracy.html